Notes from chef and co-founder of Camp Yoshi, Rashad Frazier: "One of our signature 'welcome to camp' dishes is basil fried rice. The beauty of CY is creating our own approach and traditions to the great outdoors, and basil fried rice is a key component towards this goal. Showcased on our beta trip in 2019, its endless options for customization and freshness has made it a a highly anticipated camper favorite. One tip I always recommend is to use day-old rice or previously frozen rice that's slightly dried out."
- 3 tbsp oil, divided (coconut oil is best)
- 1 large shallot
- 1 green chile (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lb cleaned shrimp
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cup cooked white rice (jasmine rice is best)
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves, loosely packed
- 4 tbsp cilantro (optional)
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 lime, quartered
Make the sauce: Mix fish sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
Make the fried rice:
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium high heat. Add minced shallot, garlic, chili and stir-fry for a few seconds.
2. Add shrimp to the wok and cook for 1 minute or until they begin to turn pink. Move the shrimp mixture to the side of wok.
3. Add another tablespoon of oil to the wok and add the eggs. Using a spatula, break the egg yolk and lightly scramble. Before the eggs are fully cooked, add the rice and mix to coat. Drizzle the remaining oil around the wok and separate the rice grains using a spatula for about 20 seconds.
4. Mix the shrimp in with the rice and continue to stir-fry.
5. Pour the sauce over the fried rice and mix to evenly coat everything. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the Thai basil and cilantro (if using) and toss well. Garnish with quartered lime. Pair with a fried egg, grilled salmon or tofu. Enjoy!
Camp Yoshi creates a space for Black folks and allies to unplug, in order to reconnect with the wilderness. The Camp Yoshi collective pulls this off by custom-designing guided outdoor adventures that speak to our shared experience. They carefully architect routing, gourmet menus, supplies, and visual documentation for each expedition. Whether you’re a first-time camper, intimidated by the idea of camping, or lack gear, Camp Yoshi is a resource that can help you start your journey into enjoying the outdoors. This year, NEMO’s sleep systems will be on all Camp Yoshi trips with select adventures exclusively outfitted with NEMO gear!