More and more people are discovering the benefits of bringing along one of our Fillo™ ultralight camp pillows on their backpacking adventures. Why wouldn’t you want a pillow that packs to the size of a lime, yet supports you through the night for your best camp sleep? For those already on the train, here are a few tips to keeping your Fillo™ fresh and clean.
Washing your Fillo™ pillow
If your Fillo™ is exposed to dirt, or it’s starting to get a little smelly, you can simply wipe it down with a wet cloth. When you take it to the dirtbag level, you still have some easy cleaning options.
For excessive dirt or oil, we recommend the following steps for washing:
- Your Fillo™ cover can be machine washed—a front-loading, oversized washer is best. Top-loading washing machines can sometimes compress, twist, or rip the fabrics.
- Remove the inner air bladder and memory foam/mesh bag assembly before washing only the cover.
- Use a warm water wash on a regular cycle with no bleach or fabric softeners.
- Use Nikwax Tech Wash® to remove dirt and oils. Follow the instructions on the product to ensure you use the correct amount.
- If the foam insert must be washed, hand wash only. Do not wring dry—pat dry with an absorbent towel.
- Dry Fillo™ cover in an oversized commercial dryer and tumble dry on low.
- Alternatively, the Fillo cover can also be line-dried. Turn the cover inside out and hang dry until no moisture is present.
Cleaning the Valve
Use a damp cloth to wipe down the valve to remove dirt and debris. Leave the valve unlocked and open overnight to let it dry fully.
Taking care of your Fillo™ in the off-season is just as important as taking care of your beloved camping pillow in the camping season.
After each trip, follow these steps for keeping your Fillo™ in good condition for the next season:
- Clean the Fillo™ using the washing directions above if needed.
- Make sure your Fillo™ and all its components are completely dry before storing. This is the most effective way to prevent mold and mildew from forming on the pillow’s cover and inside the air bladder.
- For long-term storage, lay Fillo™ flat on a top shelf or somewhere it won’t be compressed; do not store it in its stuff sack. Over time, tightly compressed foam can lose its ability to rebound.
- Store in a cool, dry, and dark area—away from direct exposure to sunlight.
The valve used on your Fillo™ is removable and can be replaced if needed. Dirt and debris can clog the valve, causing it to fail. Reach out to our Customer Service team for assistance with obtaining a new valve.
For air bladder leaks, patch punctures with a product like Tenacious Tape™ by Gear Aid™. Just clean the area of the bladder that needs patching and peel and stick the patch on the tear.
NEMO offers professional repair services for more in-depth repairs. To request a repair quote or start the repair process, please start here: https://www.nemoequipment.com/repairs/
Have any questions? Reach out to our Customer Service team here or at 800-997-9301.