NEMO is a product-driven brand. Design and product development are at the heart of our business. We’re known for consistently innovative products and for bringing a lot of new ideas to market year after year. We’re looking for an experienced product developer with expertise in technical packs to step into a senior role on our Product Team. We need someone with skills and experience as well as the drive and charisma to set the pace for the department and be a leader and role model.
We have a unique environment here. We work as a very close-knit, collaborative team. We believe in nurturing talent and giving people an opportunity to show their full potential. The perfect person for this job will have obsessive attention to detail, and ability to manage complex projects, but also a strong creative side and an ability to contribute to brainstorming. No two days are the same at NEMO. If you thrive on teamwork, challenges, and problem solving and you’re hungry to be a big fish in a small pond, you could be the right person. Have you been itching to show people what you’re capable of? Tired of being a cog in a big machine and wanting to be able to point to products on the market with a sense of personal pride and ownership?
We’re growing fast and new opportunities are always taking shape at NEMO. Joining us now is a rare opportunity to leave your mark not only on high quality, innovative products, but also on a company culture and an important brand in our industry.
Our office is in an old textile mill in Dover, NH, about 20 minutes from a great surf spot, 15 minutes from historic Portsmouth and about an hour from the White Mountains. The cost of living is reasonable, we have top-notch school systems nearby, and access to cultural destinations like Boston, MA and Portland, ME. We recently relocated within the mill building to a beautiful space built to our specifications, with custom furniture and great natural light. Dogs are welcome.
- Play an important role in ensuring NEMO brings to market products that accomplish our standards for quality, design, and innovation.
- Create the specification of products including Bill of Materials, costing, and dimensional data. Define, document and maintain detailed product specifications throughout the development process.
- Anticipate factory concerns and questions and communicate clearly and concisely through emails and tech packs. Lead on all daily communications with vendors, suppliers and factories.
- Review prototypes, samples, and production for adherence to company quality, design, and execution targets; communicate revisions and changes to manufacturers in a clear, coherent, and efficient manner.
- Maintain style development tracking log with prototype rounds, product names, and all changes.
- Negotiate price and MOQs on finished goods, trims, materials, etc. Develop products that meet or exceed margin targets; work closely with vendors and Design to optimize construction details and materials to accomplish cost goals.
- Source and develop new raw materials, trims, treatments and embellishment. Manage and maintain fabric and treatment sample libraries.
- Coordinate material efficiency across product line.
- Develop and maintain seasonal product calendar based on brand-level go-to-market dates and factory and supplier lead times. Plan and manage the product development timelines in alignment with company targets and goals.
- Ensure raw materials are confirmed and purchased to meet GTM calendar.
- Communicate upcoming deadlines to internal teams and external partners to ensure timely delivery and availability of prototypes and samples for key dates.
- Provide additional support for product testing, photo shoots, trade shows, sales meetings and focus groups as required.
- Monitor and contribute to quality control standards for raw materials and finished products. Establish quality standards and procedures based on detailed knowledge and insight of manufacturing process and construction details.
- Assist Customer Service and Warranty Departments with technical support.
- Demonstrate high degree of professionalism in communication and teamwork with co-workers.
- Establish and maintain best practices and methods for product development, stay abreast of software capabilities, emerging technologies, and development tools.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University and/or combination of education and relevant experience
- Minimum 4 years of working experience and product knowledge in technical packs, gear, and other related soft goods
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of fit, patternmaking, construction and manufacturing of technical backpacks and bags.
- Ability to convert a 3D shape into a 2D pattern.
- Experience sewing and good understanding of production sewing processes.
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator and SOLIDWORKS.
- Proven track record of successful project management and knowledge of the product creation cycle.
- Excellent written and oral communication; experience communicating with domestic and foreign manufacturers.
- Creative problem solving to bring innovative solutions and construction to products.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently under general direction; able to meaningfully add to group discussions and work sessions.
- Able to thrive in a deadline driven environment, while managing multiple projects at once.
- Able to develop long term strategy without becoming burdened by day to day objectives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with ability to generate easy-to-read comprehensive spreadsheets.
- Meticulously organized with an eagle eye for detecting small details and differences in both products and data; ability to spot red flags amongst a sea of numbers.
- Excellent color perception and ability to detect slight color differences.
- Strong working knowledge of materials and fabrics as well as manufacturing techniques and construction methods.
- Ability to use strong reasoning, discretion, and good judgment in making product decisions and establishing product development direction.
- Strong understanding of NEMO’s market and customers.
- Domestic and international travel may be required several times per year for 1-2 weeks per trip to visit contract manufacturers and material suppliers in support of product development efforts.
- Passionate about the outdoors, adventure, and conservation.
- Position may require extended work hours prior to concept reviews, tech package handoffs, and other product creation milestones.
Compensation & Benefits:
In addition to a high energy, team-based open-space work environment, we offer great career potential and a highly competitive compensation and benefit package, including:
- Paid Time Off and Flexible Scheduling
- Medical and Prescription Drug Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Company sponsored 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- GO FAR Program (subsidized travel for adventure)
- GO HELP Program
- Employee Loyalty Award
- Employee Discount Program
- Demo Program
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, or fill out the form below. Please include the words “Product Developer” in the title of the email. We will do our best to acknowledge your submission. Candidates that look to be a promising fit will be contacted as quickly as possible.