NEMO is a strange place. A job at NEMO is probably different from any job you’ve ever had. It’s probably a lot like the job you’ve always wished you could have.
Remember the feeling of camaraderie that comes with sharing an epic adventure with your best friends? Have you ever turned to a friend while walking in steps you were quite sure had never been taken and remarked that there was absolutely nowhere you would rather be — nothing you would rather be doing? That’s the feeling of working at NEMO.
Like any adventure worth telling stories about, it isn’t always easy. The NEMO team is a small group traveling unsupported over new ground, driven by talent, passion and ambition, depending on each other, making bold moves and taking big risks. For the right person, it’s about the most fun you’ll ever be paid to have. It’s not really like a job at all.
NEMO eagerly accepts applications for all open positions. Please see the positions listed below. If we don’t have the opening you are looking for but your heart is in the outdoor industry, we also recommend checking the Outdoor Industry Association classifieds or the job board at Outdoor Industry Jobs.
Job Posting: Product Manager
NEMO was founded in 2002 with the commitment to bring the highest level of design and engineering to the world of outdoor adventure. We are a small, authentic, fast-growing company run by people with a genuine and deep passion for what we do. Design and development is done in-house, and we take full ownership of what we produce. At NEMO, we are constantly evolving, improving ourselves, our process, and ultimately our products. We work in a collaborative environment where teamwork and results rule the day.
Candidates for this position should expect to work hard, have lots of responsibility, and plenty of fun too. Bring your mountain bike, surfboard, and rock shoes. Our office is located in a historic mill in the charming town of Dover, NH, 20 minutes from great surfing, an hour from the White Mountains, and a little more than an hour to Boston. Dogs are welcome.
We’re hiring for the role of Product Manager, but not your everyday product manager. You will be in charge of a new product category (apply to learn more), but expected to spend a lot of time in the workshop getting your hands dirty developing and testing ideas. It’s both a hands-on role and a demanding management role. We need someone who has really mastered both sides of their brain. Basically, we’re looking for a talented “maker” who can juggle a lot of balls and chase down details. NEMO is an exciting place to be and this is a dream job for the right person.
The right person will have a natural ability to build stuff and exceptional mechanical aptitude. Do you have a shop at home? Have you been building stuff since you were a kid? A design or engineering degree and professional experience in one of those fields is a plus, but not a necessity. Talent is what really matters. You will be part of the Design team at NEMO, work closely with the founder, and report directly to the Product Line Manager. Your time will be split between our workshop, making prototypes and trying out new ideas, and the computer where you’ll handle documenting and communicating product ideas with our factories.
In addition to a high energy, team-based, open concept work environment, we offer great career potential and a competitive compensation and benefit package, including:
o Company sponsored 401(k)
o Medical Insurance
o Employee Discounts on NEMO Products
o Paid Time Off and Flexible Scheduling
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage a product category (apply to learn more) at NEMO.
· Lead the development of product concepts to ensure the highest level of innovation and quality that meets NEMO’s standards.
· Generate new product ideas based on your experience in the outdoors and knowledge of the industry and markets.
· Communicate construction details, drawings, dimensions, and material specifications to vendors and suppliers.
· Maintain all records, design files, and samples associated with your category.
· Review prototypes, samples, and production for adherence to company quality, design, and execution targets; communicate revisions and changes to manufacturers in a clear, coherent, and efficient manner.
· Develop products that meet or exceed margin targets; work closely with vendors and Design to optimize construction details and materials to accomplish cost goals.
· Facilitate intra-department communication between Sales, Marketing, Operations, and Design.
· Work closely with the Operations department to deliver a complete technical data package for each product; seamlessly transition products from development to production.
· Establish quality standards and procedures based on detailed knowledge and insight of manufacturing process and construction details.
· Strong mechanical aptitude. Proven skill and passion for making things.
· Bachelors or technical degree in a related field.
· Passion for the outdoors and outdoor gear.
· Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
· Detail oriented, diligent and meticulous.
· Team-oriented and collaborative.
· Position may require extended work hours prior to concept reviews, tech package handoffs, and other product creation milestones.
· Must read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
· Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
· Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally up to 10%.
Desired Skills and Experience:
· Proven ability to invent mechanical devices and create functioning mechanical solutions by hand.
· Proven track record of successful project management.
· Strong written and oral communication.
· Creative problem solving to bring innovative solutions and construction to new product development.
· Strong work ethic and ability to work independently under general direction; able to meaningfully add to group discussions and work sessions.
· Able to thrive in a deadline driven environment, while managing multiple projects at once.
· Intermediate to advanced abilities with hand sketching, CAD, and Adobe Creative Suite.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
· Meticulous organization.
· General working knowledge of mechanical hardware, materials, fabrics and construction methods.
· Strong working knowledge of manufacturing techniques.
· Ability to use strong reasoning, quantitative data, and good judgment in making product decisions and establishing product development direction.
This job description is not all-inclusive and is only intended to describe the general nature of the work. All job responsibilities are considered to be essential job functions. Job responsibilities and job requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals as it deems necessary for proper business operations.
How to Apply:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a cover letter and resume. Please include the words "Maker" in the title of the email. We will do our best to acknowledge your submission. Candidates that look to be a promising fit will be contacted as quickly as possible.