A job at NEMO is probably different from any job you’ve ever had.It’s probably a lot like the job you’ve always wished you could have. In fact, for the right person, it’s not really like a job at all.
Remember the feeling of camaraderie that comes with sharing an epic adventure with your best friends? Have you ever turned to a friend while walking in steps you were quite sure had never been taken and remarked that there was absolutely nowhere you would rather be — nothing you would rather be doing? That’s the feeling of working at NEMO.
Cam Brensinger started NEMO Equipment, Inc. in 2002 as his senior thesis project in design school while simultaneously working at MIT. Three days after graduation, he opened the NEMO headquarters in an old mill building in Nashua, NH. He launched the brand in 2004 at the Summer Market Outdoor Retailer show and quickly began winning awards for design and innovation. NEMO was the overall winner of the ISPO Brand New Award in 2005 and named by TIME and Popular Science as among the 100 best inventions of the year. That began a train of awards and PR that has only accelerated since then. NEMO a truly product-driven brand and that’s helped them outpace their competition in year-over-year growth, steadily taking market share in their trajectory toward quickly becoming an iconic outdoor industry brand.
The team at NEMO is in love with the outdoors and seeks to inspire engagement with outdoor adventure through thoughtful design. They believe great product is part of the equation of enjoying adventure and stands to have a big effect on the experience of being outdoors. They are conscious of how much product there already is in the world and feel a responsibility to make only product that is unique, offers superior features, and is built to last.
A sticker on one of the conference tables at NEMO reads, “Design Like You Give a Damn” and that about sums up the ethos at this company. Everyone on the design team works hands-on to sew samples or build prototypes. There’s always a buzz of activity in the office and there are signs of product design and development every direction you look.
NEMO takes full responsibility for every creative detail of its brand and products. The team does all product design, engineering, development, studio photography, graphic design, etc. in house. And they have some serious talent onboard with a designer from Apple, a PhD engineer from GE, and a number of veterans from the industry. To support the design and engineering efforts of the team, their beautiful office in an old mill building in Dover, NH, has a full woodshop, photo studio, testing lab, rain chamber and full product design suite.
At NEMO, ideas for new products begin with having real experiences in adventure. A passion for adventure is an absolute prerequisite for being part of the team and the design team at NEMO works by these key principles:
– Never bring anything to market that isn’t significantly better than what is already available.
– Own and obsess over every detail.
– Be proud of what you do.
NEMO eagerly accepts applications for all open positions. Please see the positions listed below. If we don’t have the opening you are looking for but your heart is in the outdoor industry, we also recommend checking the Outdoor Industry Association classifieds or the job board at Outdoor Industry Jobs.
We are currently seeking candidates for the following position(s):
Marketing Content Manager
NEMO is looking for a talented and experienced Marketing Content Manager to manage their content production and channel dissemination. The right person will be passionate about the outdoors and adventure, have excellent writing skills, a background in digital marketing, experience directing video content, an eye for design, and a natural talent for messaging and connecting with people.
NEMO has experienced incredible growth as a company due to the strength of its brand, products and reputation. Now it is pouring fuel on the fire by continuing to build a stellar in-house marketing team. This role will join the team to lead marketing content under the direction of the Senior Marketing Director and in partnership with in-house subject matter experts and the other members of the marketing department. This role should bring a deep knowledge of content strategy and artful storytelling, and a personal talent for sourcing and writing great content, including instructional, informational and inspirational pieces. The role will also manage content strategy and prioritization for production of visual and video content in partnership with NEMO’s in-house creative team.
In NEMO’s 15 years, it has been awarded many of the most prestigious design awards in the outdoor industry and has established brand recognition around the world. But despite the success of the brand, the team still has the spirit of a start-up, with a fully collaborative, highly creative, radically innovative approach to marketing that resembles a hungry, young company more than a well-established corporation. Working within this exciting environment that is informed by design thinking and relentless experimentation, this role will be expected to operate nimbly and take a similar approach to leading the content strategy, production and dissemination. Having a deep understanding of marketing theory, strategy and best practices should be balanced by the willingness and ability to see past the “rules” and work outside of any pre-conceived boxes to achieve exceptional results.
NEMO is a values-led business with a deep commitment to social and environmental consciousness, sustainability, and outdoor adventure. Expressing these values in our content will be an important part of this role, and an understanding of, belief in, and personal alignment with the role of business in creative positive social and environmental change will be important.
– Define and continually optimize content strategy to support NEMO brand positioning and deliver on marketing and business objectives.
– Manage planning and production of written, video and visual content for all consumer-facing channels, including website, email, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
– Own the organization and accessibility of all content in Digital Asset Management system.
– Assist in SEO and ecommerce related content assets for all products.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
– Exceptional communication skills, written and verbal.
– Ability to manage brand expression – visually and verbally – within brand guidelines.
– Creativity and an understanding of what makes great, compelling content.
– Strong channel management skills, including deep familiarity with social platforms (paid and organic), email programs, and content management system-enabled publishing.
– In-depth understanding of SEO and its role in driving traffic and engagement.
– Strong analytical and data-driven thinking skills.
– Ability to manage projects to meet deadlines on time and within budget.
– Team-oriented and collaborative with the ability to manage cross-functional relationships.
– Extreme attention to detail.
– Understanding of marketing content best practices.
– Dedication to staying current within field.
– Entrepreneurial mindset.
– Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field, or equivalent knowledge.
– Six years of demonstrated knowledge and experience leading and managing SEO/SEM, content production and publishing, social media channels and email marketing, or equivalent skill set.
– History of professional integrity, strong work ethic, and impressive work results.
– Passion for the outdoors and outdoor gear.
For More Information:
Please direct questions and inquiries to:
Kate Paine, Senior Marketing Director, NEMO Equipment
383 Central Avenue, Suite 275
Dover, NH 03820