NEMO is a strange place. A job at NEMO is probably different from any job you’ve ever had. It’s probably a lot like the job you’ve always wished you could have.
Remember the feeling of camaraderie that comes with sharing an epic adventure with your best friends? Have you ever turned to a friend while walking in steps you were quite sure had never been taken and remarked that there was absolutely nowhere you would rather be — nothing you would rather be doing? That’s the feeling of working at NEMO.
Like any adventure worth telling stories about, it isn’t always easy. The NEMO team is a small group traveling unsupported over new ground, driven by talent, passion and ambition, depending on each other, making bold moves and taking big risks. For the right person, it’s about the most fun you’ll ever be paid to have. It’s not really like a job at all.
NEMO eagerly accepts applications for all open positions. Please see the positions listed below. If we don’t have the opening you are looking for but your heart is in the outdoor industry, we also recommend checking the Outdoor Industry Association classifieds or the job board at Outdoor Industry Jobs.
The Position: Marketing Director
Below is the position profile, but read between the lines. We’re looking to add a highly capable and likable leader to our team. We need someone who is energetic and passionate, someone with a deep love for the outdoors, for great products, and for great marketing. To be the right person, you must be clever, quick-witted, deeply creative and an excellent problem solver. We’re a small company—we use our brains where others use big dollars. This role is for someone equally happy thinking strategically and actually doing the work…someone who can see the big picture, but also sketch out ideas and write excellent creative. We don’t use a lot of outside resources…this isn’t the kind of marketing director who just manages a bunch of agencies…you will need to be a thinker and a doer!
Expect hard work. But also a lot of fun and a family-like atmosphere. We have a great team and a beautiful office in an old textile mill in Dover, NH. Most people here ski, surf, bike, backpack, or run. We’re located 15 minutes from historic Portsmouth, 20 minutes to the beach or an hour to the White Mountains. Dogs are welcome.
If you think you have the right stuff, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will be taking the top applicants and offering a small creative challenge to help us identify the best candidate.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Mission & Scope:
We’re seeking an energetic Marketing Director to create, implement, and help execute a brand marketing strategy for NEMO. This individual will be responsible for developing a brand strategy and implementing it across all channels. The Marketing Director will work closely with the Sales and Design teams to champion content generation, storytelling and bring products to market with cohesive and comprehensive marketing strategy.
Bottom line, we have a great story here, and consistently innovative products, and we need someone to focus our messaging and help us deliver it consistently across our website, products, sales materials, and so on. It’s a rare opportunity for the right person to come in and have a big influence on the look and feel of a fast-growing and influential brand in the outdoor industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive and execute cohesive brand storytelling and presence with current and future assets across social media platforms, NEMO blog, offsite consumer events and industry trade shows.
- Creates, develops and implements comprehensive multimedia campaigns across print, PR, social media and POP.
- Evaluates media options, sets metrics and studies results to achieve continually better ROI from marketing campaigns.
- Provide marketing support to sales team and be the main point of contact between sales and marketing.
- Effectively manages contractors and agencies to drive higher performance. Works closely with team members to implement campaigns across all mediums.
- Works cross-functionally with product development and sales to identify, create, and launch new product marketing on time with compelling execution.
- Works with team on the collection and analysis of data to ensure intelligent decisions and debrief analysis of campaigns.
- Clearly understands the current outdoor market, including the latest trends, media, key companies and retailers.
- Oversee development and production of the dealer workbook, and consumer look books.
- In collaboration with creative team, ensure brand position is accurately reflected all executions, including workbooks, sales sheets, trade show materials, catalogs and advertisements.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or a relevant field.
- 3 or more years of marketing experience.
- Excellent copywriting ability with examples to support.
- Strong analytical & computer skills (MS Office, Photoshop, InDesign).
- Basic understanding of HTML and wordpress.
- Ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be detail-oriented, but not lose sight of the big picture.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Must read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
- Team-oriented and collaborative with the ability to manage cross-functional relationships and to influence business decisions with internal and external partners.
- Passion for the outdoors and outdoor gear.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally up to 20%.
General Summary of Responsibilities:
This job description is not all-inclusive and is only intended to describe the general nature of the work. All job responsibilities are considered to be essential job functions. Job responsibilities and job requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals as it deems necessary for proper business operations. Duties are subject to change at any time at the sole discretion of the Company.