The Position: North American Sales Director
NEMO is seeking a highly competent, experienced, forward-thinking and engaging North American Sales Director to take over leadership of our internal sales team and our force of independent sales agencies. The landscape of retail is changing, the industry is maturing, there are so many factors to consider in developing a sustainable North American sales strategy. NEMO has grown impressively and continues to claim market share on the basis of a commitment to our core values and a willingness to buck trends and think creatively. We take a long term view on growth, and value building a legacy brand above all else.
The right person for this job will be a principled, clear-headed strategic thinker hungry to be a key player in a rising star brand. To fit the bill, you will need to bring strong relationships with key retailers, proven success in managing a sales force as well internal direct reports, and experience overseeing e-commerce. NEMO believes in a retail ecosystem that requires a diversity of retailers, brands and products and we work hard to nurture and support our partnerships across platforms and channels. We choose our partners carefully, and we aren’t afraid to walk away from short term opportunity. We’re looking for a Sales Director who shares our patient and strategic approach.
This person will have an active leadership team role at NEMO. Beyond defining and directing sales strategy, this person will also play a key role in keeping leadership informed of market trends and shaping the direction of product design and development. This is a big role, with a breadth of responsibilities, and a lot of hard work and travel. But it’s also a deeply rewarding role, likely to include many successes and room for upward movement within our organization.
We have a top-notch team and a beautiful office in an old textile mill in Dover, NH. Most people here ski, surf, bike, backpack, or run. We’re located 15 minutes from historic Portsmouth, 20 minutes to the beach, or an hour to the White Mountains. Well behaved dogs are welcome.
If you think you have the right stuff, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- • Reports to VP of Outdoor. Manages team including Dealer Services Manager, Ecommerce Manager, and CS team.
- • Manages the independent sales force in the US and Canada, including seven independent agencies in the US and two in Canada.
- • Works closely with Marketing, Design and Operations.
- • Develops and implements, in conjunction with the Senior Management team, budgets for Pro, Direct, and Wholesale channels.
- • Develops annual and quarterly sales targets for each territory, working closely with the reps to assist them in achieving their sales goals, while holding them accountable.
- • Works hard with internal team to achieve monthly sales goals and implement new strategies to react to changes in the market.
- • Travels extensively with reps, providing brand and product training for reps and retailers, making sales calls to key accounts.
- • Develops and maintains relationships with all key account buyers and managers.
- • Analyzes sell through and trends and proactively works with key accounts to adjust in season and future orders.
- • Updates and enforces North American sales policies and dealer programs to best support sales goals and dealer relationships.
- • Monitors and reports on policy and program performance.
- • Manages and directs the Sales team, including the Ecommerce Manager, actively providing leadership, including initiation of regular department meetings.
- • Partners closely with Marketing to develop sales and marketing plans, forecasts, and budgets to support the sales goals. Instrumental in creating POP and swag to support the wholesale channel.
- • Continually gathers information on competitors and market trends to identify product needs and opportunities; communicates this information to Management, Marketing and Design teams.
- • Works closely with Product Management to help direct strategic evolution of the product line and brand positioning.
- • Works hand in hand with VP of Outdoor and Ops team on inventory strategy, analysis, and implementing actions when needed.
- • Attends North American and regional trade shows to support the NEMO brand and independent sales force.
- • Plans and executes all sales meetings and national trade shows, including the annual NEMO North American Sales Meeting.
- • Prepares monthly sales reports including SWOT analysis, market trends, and customer feedback.
- • Actively participates in Senior Management Meetings to maintain awareness of current priorities, trends and company initiatives.
- • 5-10 years of sales experience and a minimum of three years directly related sales management experience and working knowledge of relevant products and policies.
- • Bachelor’s degree in sales, marketing or business administration required.
- • Master’s degree in sales marketing or business administration preferred.
- • Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Must read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
- • Working knowledge of financial reporting and bookkeeping.
- • Proficiency in MS Office.
- • Practical math skills and ability to calculate margins.
- • Ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- • Team-oriented and collaborative with the ability to manage cross-functional relationships and to influence business decisions with internal and external partners.
- • Passion for the outdoors and outdoor gear.
- • Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- • Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally up to 30%.
General Summary of Responsibilities:
This job description is not all-inclusive and is only intended to describe the general nature of the work. All job responsibilities are considered to be essential job functions. Job responsibilities and job requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals as it deems necessary for proper business operations. Duties are subject to change at any time at the sole discretion of the Company.