A job at NEMO is probably different from any job you’ve ever had.It’s probably a lot like the job you’ve always wished you could have. In fact, for the right person, it’s not really like a job at all.
Remember the feeling of camaraderie that comes with sharing an epic adventure with your best friends? Have you ever turned to a friend while walking in steps you were quite sure had never been taken and remarked that there was absolutely nowhere you would rather be — nothing you would rather be doing? That’s the feeling of working at NEMO.
Cam Brensinger started NEMO Equipment, Inc. in 2002 as his senior thesis project in design school while simultaneously working at MIT. Three days after graduation, he opened the NEMO headquarters in an old mill building in Nashua, NH. He launched the brand in 2004 at the Summer Market Outdoor Retailer show and quickly began winning awards for design and innovation. NEMO was the overall winner of the ISPO Brand New Award in 2005 and named by TIME and Popular Science as among the 100 best inventions of the year. That began a train of awards and PR that has only accelerated since then. NEMO a truly product-driven brand and that’s helped them outpace their competition in year-over-year growth, steadily taking market share in their trajectory toward quickly becoming an iconic outdoor industry brand.
The team at NEMO is in love with the outdoors and seeks to inspire engagement with outdoor adventure through thoughtful design. They believe great product is part of the equation of enjoying adventure and stands to have a big effect on the experience of being outdoors. They are conscious of how much product there already is in the world and feel a responsibility to make only product that is unique, offers superior features, and is built to last.
A sticker on one of the conference tables at NEMO reads, “Design Like You Give a Damn” and that about sums up the ethos at this company. Everyone on the design team works hands-on to sew samples or build prototypes. There’s always a buzz of activity in the office and there are signs of product design and development every direction you look.
NEMO takes full responsibility for every creative detail of its brand and products. The team does all product design, engineering, development, studio photography, graphic design, etc. in house. And they have some serious talent onboard with a designer from Apple, a PhD engineer from GE, and a number of veterans from the industry. To support the design and engineering efforts of the team, their beautiful office in an old mill building in Dover, NH, has a full woodshop, photo studio, testing lab, rain chamber and full product design suite.
At NEMO, ideas for new products begin with having real experiences in adventure. A passion for adventure is an absolute prerequisite for being part of the team and the design team at NEMO works by these key principles:
– Never bring anything to market that isn’t significantly better than what is already available.
– Own and obsess over every detail.
– Be proud of what you do.
NEMO eagerly accepts applications for all open positions. Please see the positions listed below. If we don’t have the opening you are looking for but your heart is in the outdoor industry, we also recommend checking the Outdoor Industry Association classifieds or the job board at Outdoor Industry Jobs.
We are currently seeking candidates for the following position(s):
Product Development Engineer
DescriptionNEMO was founded in 2002 with the commitment to bring the highest level of design and engineering to the world of outdoor adventure. We are a small, authentic, fast-growing company run by people with a genuine and deep passion for what we do. Design and development is done in-house, and we take full ownership of what we produce. At NEMO, we are constantly evolving, improving ourselves, our process, and ultimately our products. We work in a collaborative environment where teamwork and results rule the day.
Candidates for this position should expect to work hard, have lots of responsibility, and plenty of fun too. Bring your mountain bike, surfboard, and rock shoes. Our office is located in a historic mill in the charming town of Dover, NH, 20 minutes from great surfing, an hour from the White Mountains, and a little more than an hour to Boston. Dogs are welcome.
The PositionWe’re hiring for the role of Product Development Engineer, and it’s not your everyday engineering position. Besides spending a lot of time in the workshop and lab getting your hands dirty developing and testing ideas, you will be in charge of a product category that comprises roughly one-third of the business (apply to learn more). It’s both a hands-on role and a demanding management role. We need someone who has really mastered both sides of their brain. Basically, we’re looking for a talented “engineer/inventor” and project manager who can juggle a lot of balls and simultaneously chase down details. NEMO is an exciting place to be and this is a dream job for the right person. We are growing at an exceptional rate and need your to help us keep the momentum going.
The right person will have a natural ability to build stuff, an exceptional mechanical aptitude, and an understanding of materials properties. Do you experiment to understand? Have you been building stuff since you were a kid? Do you use data and statistics to make decisions? The preferred candidate will likely have a design or engineering degree and professional experience in one of those fields, but talent is what really matters. You will be part of the Product Team at NEMO, work closely with the founder, and report directly to the Director of Engineering. Your time will be split between our workshop, our lab, and your computer. Your tasks will range from ideation to making engineering calculation to building CAD models to documenting designs and communicating with our factories. As a side note, Jedi level ability with SolidWorks gets you major bonus points.
In addition to a high energy, team-based, open concept work environment, we offer great career potential and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including:
– Company sponsored 401(k)
– Medical Insurance
– Employee Discounts on NEMO Products
– Paid Time Off for vacation, volunteering, and parenting
– Company sponsored adventure travel
Essential Duties and Responsibilities– Manage a product category (apply to learn more) at NEMO.
– Lead the development of product concepts to ensure the highest level of innovation and quality that meets NEMO’s standards.
– Generate new product ideas based on your experience in the outdoors and knowledge of the industry and markets.
– Communicate construction details, drawings, dimensions, and material specifications to vendors and suppliers.
– Not only utilize CAD to its full potential in your product category, but be a shared CAD resource for the Product Team.
– Maintain all records, design files, and samples associated with your category.
– Review prototypes, samples, and production for adherence to company quality, design, and execution targets; communicate revisions and changes to manufacturers in a clear, coherent, and efficient manner.
– Validate product designs with laboratory testing and field trials.
– Develop products that meet or exceed margin targets; work closely with vendors and design to optimize construction details and materials to accomplish cost goals.
– Facilitate intra-department communication between Sales, Marketing, Operations, and Design.
– Work closely with the Operations department to deliver a complete technical data package for each product; seamlessly transition products from development to production.
– Establish quality standards and procedures based on detailed knowledge and insight of manufacturing process and construction details.
Requirements– Strong mechanical aptitude. Proven skill and passion for making things.
– Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
– Experience with physical experiments and data analysis.
– Passion for the outdoors and outdoor gear.
– Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
– Detail-oriented, diligent and meticulous.
– Team-oriented and collaborative.
– Strong written and oral communication.
– Position may require extended work hours prior to concept reviews, tech package handoffs, and other product creation milestones.
– Must read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
– Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
– Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally up to 10%.
Desired Skills and Experience– Proven ability to invent mechanical devices and create functioning mechanical solutions by hand.
– Proven track record of successful project management.
– Creative problem solving to bring innovative solutions and construction to new product development.
– Strong work ethic and ability to work independently under general direction; able to meaningfully add to group discussions and work sessions.
– Able to thrive in a deadline driven environment, while managing multiple projects at once.
– Intermediate to advanced abilities with hand sketching, CAD/FEA, and Adobe Creative Suite.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
– Meticulous organization.
– General working knowledge of mechanical hardware, materials, fabrics and construction methods.
– Strong working knowledge of manufacturing techniques.
– Ability to use strong reasoning, quantitative data, and good judgment in making product decisions and establishing product development direction.
This job description is not all-inclusive and is only intended to describe the general nature of the work. All job responsibilities are considered to be essential job functions. Job responsibilities and job requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals as it deems necessary for proper business operations.
How to ApplyPlease contact email@example.com to submit a cover letter and resume. Please include the words “Product Engineer” in the title of the email. We will do our best to acknowledge your submission. Candidates that look to be a promising fit will be contacted as quickly as possible.
Customer Service & Warranty Assistant
DescriptionThe Customer Service and Warranty Assistant will play a key role in assisting the Customer Service department during NEMO’s busiest time of year, and beyond. This position reports to the Customer Service Manager and will be primarily responsible for receiving customer product, performing warranty evaluations, and processing replacements and refunds. Duties of this position require someone who can be customer focused and able to follow and develop processes. As a small company, we will also require this position to assist other departments when necessary and be willing to take on additional duties as needed. This position will require constant communication with customers via email and telephone. This individual will also be responsible for coordinating repairs within the established program.
This position will also be responsible for picking, packing, and shipping as needed from our headquarters location. Our main warehouse is located in California, but we are shipping odds and ends daily from the office here in NH.
Who We AreNEMO is located in a newly refurbished and repurposed mill building in downtown Dover, NH. We are a team of dedicated outdoor enthusiasts, backpackers, hikers, bikers, surfers, kayakers, skiers, and snowboarders and we love to get outside and use the gear that NEMO makes.
Who You AreYou are such a multitasker, you’re reading this while juggling. You are so self-motivated that your application is half-submitted and you haven’t even gotten to the job description! You love detail, you crush deadlines, you organize like a Trapper Keeper and can switch gears like a race car driver.
Position Requirements– Ability to communicate effectively with customers and the NEMO team, both verbally and through email
– Ability to handle complex procedures with seasoned judgment and professional maturity
– Have an entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to work hands-on with a young brand
– Be a well organized leader, individual, and self starter
– Have superior execution skills and a strong ability to multi-task
– Have experience in the outdoor industry and more importantly, a passion for playing outdoors
– Comfortable and confident using a computer, email and other basic office equipment and programs
– Experience with NetSuite is not required, but is preferred